Littlefoot Community Projects is an (almost) 1/4 acre farm growing an intersectional food justice movement in KW.
We are a small-scale peri-urban farm collaboratively farming in Maryhill, Ontario. We use a food-justice lens to address the root causes of food insecurity in Kitchener-Waterloo. Our community partnerships address diverse aspects of food insecurity, including: basic income, community health and harm reduction, sustainable farming, food sovereignty, cultural foods, and more.
Our activities include:
- Offering flexible and compassionate opportunities to access food in Downtown Kitchener, through our Feed Change Market (a pay-what-you-choose produce market) as well as local community programs.
- Collecting and (re)distributing gleaned crops from local farmers and essential household goods through our Common Goods project.
- Creating knowledge sharing and skills building opportunities around regenerative agriculture, vermi-composting (worm composting), entrepreneurship, and food justice.
- Addressing food security in an intersectional way, through grassroots partnerships, political engagement, research, and advocacy.
where we started
In early 2018, Vanessa and Dan connected with Janet and Roger of Stone Meadow Farm, a hobby farm located in Maryhill, Ontario. The farm owners graciously offered up space to share, helping us to create garden beds, install fencing, and sort out our irrigation system. While we weren't prepared with the appropriate resources or infrastructure to start seeds that year, Vanessa's coworkers at The Working Centre Market Garden supported by providing us with seedlings and sharing their community connections. That season, we provided produce to KW Habilitation who utilized the produce in skills-building programs and to supplement their market for inclusive housing residents, and also to Guelph's North End Harvest Market, a community-based market that provided produce to many new immigrants.
In January, 2019, we then incorporated officially as a not-for-profit organization, comprised of a small but passionate Board of Directors:
- Chair & Secretary: Vanessa Ong
- Chair & Treasurer: Dan Radoslav
- Director: Sophie Gibbs
Learn more about our team here.